Many businesses are worried about the “showrooming” affect. “Showrooming” is when consumers shop for a product in-store but wind up making the purchase digitally. New research on the wants of holiday shoppers can help you create innovative digital tactics that will help keep shoppers spending money in your physical location.
• Seven in 10 shoppers agreed that stores need to do more to enhance the in-store shopping experience
• Nearly 80% said they want the ability to make a purchase in-store, but have it shipped home free
• Nearly six in 10 wanted interactive kiosks or displays that offered addition product information or product recommendations
• 56% wanted exclusive in-store mobile offers
• Nearly 60% wanted an easy mobile payment option
What Does This Mean To You?
From yesterday’s post, we know that digital shopping is only going to increase. In fact, almost six in 10 smart phone owners reported that they “showroomed” this holiday season.
While some of these customer “wants” may not be feasible or technologically possible for many small retailers, but they do point to some things you may be able to provide.
• Shipping options – Free shipping may not be possible for every purchase, but you may want to investigate free or reduced shipping for purchases made over a certain dollar amount.
• Customer service – While digital kiosks are something that would be great – it’s really about customer service. A recent study showed that consumers want your store personal to be knowledgeable about the products you sell and the offers you have. A great customer experience can turn a consumer into a loyal customer. Ensuring your staff is well trained is a cornerstone of great customer service
• Discounts and Offers – Mobile coupons and exclusive mobile offers are very popular and can help you increase sales. More important than the coupons and offers is a loyalty program that includes them. Loyalty programs can help you create targeted offers that have value to the shopper and turn your messages into something they fins valuable
• Mobile payment – This is one to watch. Making payments could be the next big thing consumers rely on their mobile device for. It will all depend on the user experience. When evaluating vendors, pay attention to the ease of use. Stay away from anything that seems too clunky. If a solution is quick and easy consumers will not use it
For many businesses, keeping shoppers in-store is an imperative and there are digital tools and programs can help you. For more information on creating success from digital, please contact your Orlando Sentinel Media Group representative or:
Advertising Research Manager
Source: Mobile Commerce Daily; GfK Roper; SapientNitro