2011 will be remembered as the year mobile took off. Mobile shopping skyrocketed during the holidays and it doesn’t look like it’s going to slow down over the next few years.
- In 2011, mcommerce grew 91% to $6.7 billion in 2011
- That number is expected to nearly double to $11.6 billion
- By 2015, mcommerce is predicted to swell to $31 billion
- From 2010 to 2011, the number of mobile shoppers rose
by over 40%
- In 2012, the number of mobile shoppers is anticipated
to jump to nearly 73 million
- By 2015, there will be 111 million mobile shoppers
What Does This Mean To You?
It is estimated that 93% of smart phone owners participated in some kind of shopping function in 2011. How many of your customers own a smart phone? What are you doing to capture mcommerce dollars? Consumers are using mobile devices to research, compare and purchase products. If you currently do not have a mobile strategy, it is definitely something you need to explore now. Your customers are already using mobile devices for shopping because of mobile’s functionality and convenience. If you aren’t making it convenient for them, your competitor might. For more information on creating a winning mobile strategy, please contact your Orlando Sentinel Media Group representative or:
Advertising Research Supervisor