Seniors are not known for being gadget collectors but recent trends are pointing to something different. Recent research on older Americans point to more and more adults 65+ relying on high tech devices.
• Nearly half have desktops and approximately one-third own laptops
• The number of adults owning laptops has grown 25% since 2010
• Historically, seniors are heavy book readers, but it seems like how they read is changing. 11% of adults 65+ own e-readers, that number has jumped 40% in the past 2 years
• 8% of seniors own tablets
What Does This Mean To You
Technology allows you to target the lucrative senior population in ways you couldn’t just a few years ago. While the majority of Metro Orlando seniors are retired, one-third still have household incomes of $50,000+ and 18% are in the $75,000+ bracket.
Seniors are also a great consumer base. In the past 12 months, adults 65+ have made a variety of purchases, including:
• One in four bought a TV
• Nearly half made a home improvement
• 30% made a purchase from a furniture or mattress store
• Over 70% made a purchase from a clothing store
For more information on how you can engage and monetize seniors, please contact:
Source: Pew Internet & American Life Project; The 2012 Scarborough Report, Release 1