There is mounting evidence that “showrooming” will be commonplace this holiday season. One of the benefits that mobile consumers find while shopping is that smart phones give them all the information they need. This can lead to showrooming. Smart phone functionality can also be used to reinforce the value of making purchases in stores.
• Nearly 60% of these “smart” shoppers are planning to check or compare prices
• Roughly four in 10 will get product information or scan a barcode associated with products
• 36% will use mobile devices to find discounts, coupons or other information
• Over one-third will read reviews
• Just under a quarter will check product availability mobil-ly
• Approximately one in five shop or browse via mobile web
• 16% receive text messages or exclusive offers from retailers
• 14% plan to access social networks on their mobile device
• Roughly one in 10 will use geo-location applications
What Does This Mean To You?
Mobile’s affect on all shopping – not just holiday buying – is going to continue to grow. During the holidays, when consumers are short on time, making purchases for the best deals – mobile’s impact is just amplified. Some of the mobile activities that consumers engage in can help you mitigate “showrooming”. Nearly 40% of shoppers are scanning bar codes. Utilizing QR with custom messages promoting the value of shopping in-store can sway shoppers to complete there purchases in-store. Permission-based SMS campaigns can being the same affect. Using virtual testimonials in your social entities are also something that can draw traffic in-store and keep keep them shopping there. Consumers are looking for the quickest and easiest way to get through the holidays – but they also don’t want to pay too much. If you leverage mobile functionality to keep sales in-store, you will diminish the affect “showrooming” can have on your business. For more information on how mobile can make your holiday sales stronger, please contact:
Source: Mobile Commerce Daily; Deloitte