Apps are one of the things that makes mobile devices special. They can also be fairly expensive for a small business to develop. Over the holidays, a record number of apps were downloaded but evidence suggests that consumers are not too keen on single store apps for shopping. A new report looks into app vs. WAP use and what might make a shopper visit a single store app.
• When asked what would encourage them to download an app, nearly 20% said a special offer
• 11% said that the app would need to be faster than the store’s mobile site
• One in 10 said that their needed to be loyalty benefits to using the app
• five percent said that the checkout process must be streamlined
• Over half of smart phone shoppers surveyed said that there were no benefits that would encourage them to download a single retailer app
What Does This Mean To You?
For a single store, their mobile site is much more valuable to shoppers than their custom app.
Developing an app can be cost and resource intensive, your business is still interested in an app – remember what consumers want. They want discounts and speed. They also want conveniences such as stored information to make checking out easier. The other option is to investigate aggregator shopping apps. This gives you the benefit of added traffic without the expense of developing an app. One of the things you need to do is promote the fact you are involved in these apps. For more information on forging winning mobile strategies, please contact:
Source: Mobile Commerce Daily; SiteWorx