I don’t think I’ve ever missed the annual showing of the Great Pumpkin – Linus Van Pelt sprinkles in several bits of wisdom throughout the show – From never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker to that’s nothing compared to the fury of a woman who has been cheated out of trick-or-treats.
Recently a report was released on how much spending is anticipated on Halloween this year – these results may be enough to lure The Great Pumpkin to many different pumpkin patches.
• Total spending on Halloween is expected to reach nearly $7 billion
• Consumers will spend an average of over $75 per household on Halloween
• Nearly 160 million Americans are expected to take part in some kind of
• Over 70% of people are expected to hand out candy, 44% will carve a pumpkin,44% will also dressin costume, 32% will take a child trick or treating and 31% will through a party
• Our four legged friends are increasing joining in the Halloween fun by being dressed in costume. Roughly 15% of pets are being costumed – not sure how many are going as World War Flying Aces
What Does This Mean To You?
You don’t have to be a Dentist or a costume shop to join in the Halloween profits. You can always leverage the holiday with special offers but I’m not sure how much traction you may get. Think about some more active ways you can get involved. There are always community Halloween events from the not so scary hayrides to charity haunted houses that always get great crowds. They events are typically scrambling for business to sponsor them and they could provide you with great visibility. You can also generate in store traffic with trick or treating events – these can be especially effective if you are located in a plaza or mall. Costume contest for kids can also provide key engagement points between your business and potential customers. The one thing to remember is that Halloween can be a great lead in for the winter holiday season. Take the opportunity to create top of mind awareness and consumer recognition before the holiday crush begins. For more information on how to grow your business and see tangible results with unique opportunities, please contact:
Source: National Retail Federation