Multitasking isn’t just a buzzword – it’s the way most of us live our lives. Whether we are at work or at home, the majority of people are doing at least two things at once. When it comes to TV, multiplatform activities were once through of as a distraction to your TV message. Through research, we’ve learned that using a computer, tablet, smart phone or other mobile device actually drives more engagement with TV shows and the brands that advertise on them.
● 86% of US consumers were using other devices while watching television
● In the past 2 years, multitasking grew by nearly 20%
● One in four consumers say they almost always use their smart phone while watching TV
● 20% claim to almost always use their Tablet while watching
● 16% claim to always use a laptop or desktop while watching TV
● The percentage of multitasking activity that is related to what they are watching on TV has increased by more than 20% in the past year
Why is this important?
Second screening gives your brand the opportunity to add impact to your media investment and engage potential customers. We’ve shown information in the past about how just adding a twitter handle and hashtag can increase ad recall to your spots. Reminding customers to “Like” you on Facebook or follow you on twitter for a special discount can add awareness to cause consumers to engage with your brand. Discounts are just one way to attract potential customers. We know that testimonials and online reviews can also improve the probability someone will spend money with you. Simply posting these testimonials and promoting them through your existing advertising will help you build loyal shoppers. In our next post, we’ll chronicle the specific activities that most multitaskers are performing. For more information on creating and monetizing engagement, please contact:
Sources: Tivo; Deloitte